This is a full-time position, compensation $19.55/ hour to $23.82/ hour, depending on experience and qualifications.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Street Laborer position maintains the city’s streets, curbs, gutters, sidewalks, storm drains and traffic signs. This position operates various vehicles and power equipment, uses a variety of hand tools, keeps the city’s transportation system operational and repairs and maintains equipment and facilities.OBJECTIVES:
- Repair and maintain streets, sidewalks, curbs, ditches, storm drains, right of ways, storm water easements, traffic signs and facilities.
- Respond to after hour emergencies.
- Inspect and maintain vehicles and equipment.
- Prepare and set traffic warning signs to redirect traffic around work sites and flag traffic as needed.
- Remove snow, ice and obstructions from city streets.
- Maintain and mow city properties.
- Respond to citizen complaints.
- Ability to operate and maintain light and heavy equipment.
- Proficient knowledge and use of tools, materials, methods and procedures used to maintain streets, rights-of-way, storm sewers and sidewalks.
- Basic computer skills.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and OSHA safety principles and practices.
- Ability to work effectively with the general public.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to understand and follow directions.
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle and/or motorized equipment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: High school diploma or GED and a valid driver’s license.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Manual labor including lifting and carrying heavy loads, bending and stooping.
- Exposure to heights and cramped spaces.
- Exposure to weather conditions.
- Exposure to dust, chemicals and fumes.
The City of Kearney creates a thriving, sustainable and desirable community.
Our core values are integrity, compassion, service and teamwork. We are honest and transparent in our communications and operations. We treat all people with respect and dignity. We express ourselves in a genuine and honest way. We apply the laws and rules that govern us to every decision we make and every action we take. We are kind, friendly and considerate towards the community and our colleagues, regardless of their status or disagreement with us. We listen well and seek to understand before responding. We nurture and embrace differing perspectives to make better decisions. We care about our community and are sensitive to its needs. We work towards mutually beneficial solutions to get to yes for positive outcomes. We believe learning never stops and are committed to continuous improvement. We admit mistakes freely and openly so that we can learn and become better. We are passionate about helping others and making Kearney a better place to live, work and visit. We recognize and appreciate that our differences make us stronger and smarter, allowing us to do amazing things for Kearney. We question actions inconsistent with our values and provide candid, helpful and timely feedback to our colleagues. We take responsibility for our actions and decisions and following through on our commitments and promises. We value creativity, a positive attitude and enjoying ourselves at work.
The City of Kearney offers competitive pay and a great benefit package, including health insurance, 13 paid holidays, paid vacation and sick time and the L-7 Missouri LAGERS retirement pension for all full-time employees. We also offer a wellness plan, tuition reimbursement, annual service awards and an Employee Assistance Program.
The City of Kearney is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in its workforce.
If this position interests you, send us your resume and application today! Contact Donnie Smith at email@example.com.