504 East 19th Street
628-5711 Recycling Center Phone (During Open Hours)
628-4142 City Hall all other times
From 33 Highway: East on 19th Street to Stonelake Drive, immediate left into Street Barn facility and follow signs.
- Friday: 7:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
- Saturday: 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
- The drop off site is locked at all other times.
- DO NOT leave items outside the gate.
- Electronics waste recycling-Computers, Lap Tops, Printers, Cables, Cell Phones, Flat Screens, Microwaves, Any small electric appliance with a cord
- Sorry, no large CRT (cathode ray tube) monitors or TV's
- Truly recycle mattresses and box springs, $10 per piece
- Newspaper (bundled in grocery sacks)
- Aluminum Cans
- Metal cans
- Glass (clear, green or brown bottles or jars)
- All numbered plastics
- Brush, grass clippings, and tree limbs pre-cut to 4' lengths, are also accepted from city residents.
- HAZARDOUS WASTE CANNOT BE ACCEPTED - Please visit www.recyclespot.org for hazardous waste disposal options.
THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Please rinse all containers
- Put newsprint in grocery sacks
- Remove metal rings from glass bottles
- Plastics, metal & aluminum go in Combined Bin
- We cannot take containers previously holding motor oil, pesticides or household hazardous waste.
- Yard waste, grass clippings leaves and brush accepted from individual City residents only. Businesses and Commercial Service providers such as tree trimmers & lawn care services) are NOT permitted.
- NEWSPAPER BIN: Magazines, chipboard (cereal and shoe boxes etc), junk mail and office paper. These items must be in paper grocery sacks.
- CORRUGATED CARDBOARD: Boxes are to be broken down to better utilize the bin space.
- PLASTIC, ALUMINUM AND TIN CANS: All these items are co-mingled and should be rinsed.
- NO PLASTIC BAGS, PLEASE.
- GLASS: All colors of glass are accepted and need to be rinsed.
- The City of Kearney is pleased to offer the recycling program and always appreciates the cooperation of recyclers.
- WHY USE PAPER SACKS? Items in sacks stack better and helps avoid shifting when the bin is removed.
- WHY RINSE PLASTIC, ALUMINUM AND TIN CANS? Insects and particularly wasps are attracted to the residue in the containers. IT IS SAFER FOR THE ATTENDANT AND THE NEXT RECYCLER.
- Please feel free to call Kearney City Hall at 816-628-4142 if you have questions or comments.
Sorry, the Composting which includes disposal of grass clippings, leaves and brush is restricted to CITY RESIDENTS ONLY.
ATTENTION CITY RESIDENTS: The City's solid waste contractor, Republic Services, offers weekly curb side pick up for leaves and grass clippings from April 1st to December 31st, at a cost of $137.70 (2016 prices) per year. Arrange this service by calling Republic at (816) 254-1470.
Following is a detailed list of what is and is not accepted in the expanded plastics recycling program:
- #1 - Bottles (soft drink, water, etc.), jars (peanut butter, pickles, etc.), and food cartons (fruit, vegetable and takeout containers, etc.)
- #2 - Bottles (milk, detergent, etc.) and tubs (yogurt, butter, etc.)
- #3 - Blister packs and clamshell packaging used to protect electronics, personal care products and household goods, etc.
- #4 - Bottles (honey, mustard, etc.) and container lids (milk jugs, water and soda bottles, etc.)
- #5 - Bottles (catsup, syrup, etc.), container lids (milk jugs, water and soda bottles, etc.), tubs (yogurt, butter, etc.), takeout, food storage and deli containers.
- #6 - Rigid polystyrene containers (non-foamed), compact disk cases, etc.
- #7 Other - Bottles (citrus juice, catsup, etc.).
- Any plastic item that does not have Nos. 1 - 7 printed on it
- StyrofoamTM, white or colored (takeout cartons, packing peanuts, egg cartons, plates, cups, bowls, blocks/sheets, etc.)
- Plastic bags (grocery, dry cleaning, potato chip, food storage bags, etc.)
- Food utensils (plates, cups, forks, spoons, etc.)
- Medical materials (prescription bottles, tubing, etc.)
- Hazardous substance containers (automotive fluids, lawn and garden products, paint containers, etc.)
- Building materials (PVC pipe, light fixtures, vinyl siding, etc.)
- Sheet material (stretch wrap, cellophane, six pack rings, bubble wrap, shower curtains, drop cloths, etc.)
- Electronic media (VHS tapes, audio tapes, CDs, DVDs, floppy disks, etc.)
- Smoke Detectors - $20 each
- Freon Units - $15
- LCD / LED Televisions - $25
- CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) 26" and smaller - $30
- Computers - $10*
*MRC certified recycler to properly handle and destroy hard drives
For more information, call Jim Eldridge at 816-903-4729.