504 East 19th Street
628-5711 Recycling Center Phone (During Open Hours)
628-4142 City Hall all other times
From 33 Highway: East on 19th Street to Stonelake Drive, immediate left into Street Barn facility and follow signs.
- Friday: 7:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
- Saturday: 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
- The drop off site is locked at all other times.
- DO NOT leave items outside the gate.
- DURING CLAY COUNTY STAY AT HOME ORDER, ELECTRONICS AND MATTRESSES COLLECTION WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- Electronics waste recycling-Computers, Lap Tops, Printers, Cables, Cell Phones, Flat Screens, Microwaves, Any small electric appliance with a cord
- Sorry, no large CRT (cathode ray tube) monitors or TV's
- Truly recycle mattresses and box springs, $10 per piece
- Newspaper (bundled in grocery sacks)
- Aluminum Cans
- Metal cans
- Glass (clear, green or brown bottles or jars)
- All numbered plastics
- Brush, grass clippings, and tree limbs pre-cut to 4' lengths, are also accepted from city residents.
- HAZARDOUS WASTE CANNOT BE ACCEPTED - Please visit www.recyclespot.org for hazardous waste disposal options.
THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Please rinse all containers
- Put newsprint in grocery sacks
- Remove metal rings from glass bottles
- Plastics, metal & aluminum go in Combined Bin
- We cannot take containers previously holding motor oil, pesticides or household hazardous waste.
- Yard waste, grass clippings leaves and brush accepted from individual City residents only. Businesses and Commercial Service providers such as tree trimmers & lawn care services) are NOT permitted.
- NEWSPAPER BIN: Magazines, chipboard (cereal and shoe boxes etc), junk mail and office paper. These items must be in paper grocery sacks.
- CORRUGATED CARDBOARD: Boxes are to be broken down to better utilize the bin space.
- PLASTIC, ALUMINUM AND TIN CANS: All these items are co-mingled and should be rinsed.
- NO PLASTIC BAGS, PLEASE.
- GLASS: All colors of glass are accepted and need to be rinsed.
- The City of Kearney is pleased to offer the recycling program and always appreciates the cooperation of recyclers.
- WHY USE PAPER SACKS? Items in sacks stack better and helps avoid shifting when the bin is removed.
- WHY RINSE PLASTIC, ALUMINUM AND TIN CANS? Insects and particularly wasps are attracted to the residue in the containers. IT IS SAFER FOR THE ATTENDANT AND THE NEXT RECYCLER.
- Please feel free to call Kearney City Hall at 816-628-4142 if you have questions or comments.
Sorry, the Composting which includes disposal of grass clippings, leaves and brush is restricted to CITY RESIDENTS ONLY.
ATTENTION CITY RESIDENTS: The City's solid waste contractor, Republic Services, offers weekly curb side pick up for leaves and grass clippings from April 1st to December 31st, at a cost of $137.70 (2016 prices) per year. Arrange this service by calling Republic at (816) 254-1470.
Following is a detailed list of what is and is not accepted in the expanded plastics recycling program:
- #1 - Bottles (soft drink, water, etc.), jars (peanut butter, pickles, etc.), and food cartons (fruit, vegetable and takeout containers, etc.)
- #2 - Bottles (milk, detergent, etc.) and tubs (yogurt, butter, etc.)
- #3 - Blister packs and clamshell packaging used to protect electronics, personal care products and household goods, etc.
- #4 - Bottles (honey, mustard, etc.) and container lids (milk jugs, water and soda bottles, etc.)
- #5 - Bottles (catsup, syrup, etc.), container lids (milk jugs, water and soda bottles, etc.), tubs (yogurt, butter, etc.), takeout, food storage and deli containers.
- #6 - Rigid polystyrene containers (non-foamed), compact disk cases, etc.
- #7 Other - Bottles (citrus juice, catsup, etc.).
- Any plastic item that does not have Nos. 1 - 7 printed on it
- StyrofoamTM, white or colored (takeout cartons, packing peanuts, egg cartons, plates, cups, bowls, blocks/sheets, etc.)
- Plastic bags (grocery, dry cleaning, potato chip, food storage bags, etc.)
- Food utensils (plates, cups, forks, spoons, etc.)
- Medical materials (prescription bottles, tubing, etc.)
- Hazardous substance containers (automotive fluids, lawn and garden products, paint containers, etc.)
- Building materials (PVC pipe, light fixtures, vinyl siding, etc.)
- Sheet material (stretch wrap, cellophane, six pack rings, bubble wrap, shower curtains, drop cloths, etc.)
- Electronic media (VHS tapes, audio tapes, CDs, DVDs, floppy disks, etc.)
These are dollar for dollar fees being currently charged to the City. We hope you will continue to appreciate the value of proper disposal of these e-waste items:
- Smoke detectors $20 each
- Freon units $15
- LCD/LED Televisions $25
- CRT (cathode ray tube) 26” and smaller $30
- Computers $10*
*MRC certified recycler to properly handle and destroy hard drives
For more information, call Jim Eldridge at 816-903-4729.