On August 18, 2014, the Board of Aldermen approved Ordinance 1262-2014, updating the City's Building Codes. This ordinance became effective on January 1, 2014. Attached below is a copy of the ordinance, including a list of amendments. A copy of the Building Code is available for review by contacting the Building Inspector's Office at 903-4736.
- Ordinance 1264-2014, including amendments
- Ordinance 1411-2019 Ice Barrier Code Change Ordinance
The Building Code includes the following sections, with amendments as identified in the ordinance:
- 2012 Edition of the International Residential Code for One- and Two-Family Dwellings;
- 2012 Edition of the International Building Code;
- 2012 Edition of the International Plumbing Code;
- 2012 Edition of the International Mechanical Code;
- 2012 Edition of the International Fuel Gas Code;
- 2011 Edition of the National Electrical Code;
- 2012 Edition of the International Fire Code;
- 2012 Edition of the International Swimming Pool and Spa Code;
- 2008 Edition of the National Green Building Standard (ICC 700-2008) (voluntary section); and
- 2012 Edition of the International Property Maintenance Code;
Kearney is located in a part of the country susceptible to tornadoes. Storm shelters/safe rooms provide protection during a tornado event. Storm shelters are to be constructed in accordance with ICC/NSSA-500 standards. These standards are available for reviewed at City Hall by contacting Colton Michael, Building Inspector, at 903-4736. Additional storm shelter information can be found on the FEMA website at https://www.fema.gov/safe-rooms/emergency-management-shelter-storm.
When disturbing/remodeling painted surfaces in homes, child care facilities and schools built before 1978, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires contractors follow specific practices to reduce lead exposure. Below are informational brochures for consumers and contractors. Additional information can be found on the EPA website at http://www2.epa.gov/lead.